In 1928 the Lord placed a burden on the heart of the Reverend Carment Urquhart (picture right) to commence a Bible Institute in Perth. On the 2nd of July of that year, he toook a bold step of faith and launched what is today called the Perth Bible College.
Carment Urquhart later penned these words in the end-of-year student magazine, giving us an insight into the mind and passion of this brilliant yet gently-spoken leader:
The shame of a world not yet evangelised should rouse us to vigorous activity. It is our business to publish the Gospel of Jesus Christ among all nations: it is God’s business to see that we are able to do it. …The regular ministry cannot supply this need. Where are the men and women whom God desires to be trained in our institute for “the greatest work in the world”; the preaching of the gospel both within and without our State?
Perth Bible College has had several homes over the years. Early premises were rented in and around Mount Lawley. In September 1934, the College moved into buildings on its own land in Joondanna. The picture to the left, taken in 1940, shows the Principals house on the left, the lecture hall in the centre and the training home on the right. From February 1951 until July 1986, it was again located at Mount Lawley, after which it moved to the current Karrinyup campus.
Since it’s inception many distinguished men and women of God have given leadership to the College. Over 1600 students have passed through it’s doors, many into full-time Christian ministry in Australia, and others to every continent of the globe.